At Kendal Calling, our team has been bustling away behind the scenes to keep our fields as clean and tidy as possible during and after the festival. We’re putting in some new and exciting sustainable initiatives for you to get involved with, to maintain a happy Deer Park when we make it our home for 4 days out of 365 (and a half!).
Here are some which will be in place this year:
- Working with the Association of Independent Festivals to avoid single-use plastics across the festival – including plastic bottles, plastic cutlery, plastic plates etc.
- Can-O-Water will be replacing single-use plastic water bottles across all our bars – whilst nothing is as environmentally friendly as reusable bottles, this is far better for the environment than plastic bottles.
- We’re phasing out plastic bags across the festival, including black bin liners. We will be replacing black bin-liners with bio-degradable clear bin-liners and will be handing these out in campsites – so please take one!
- Tim Peaks, the home of incredible Yorkshire tea and coffee, will have a cup return scheme.
- United Utilities will be giving out 10,000 FREE reusable water bottles which you can collect on site, get yourself one HERE.
- Food waste is being separated and composted.
- We welcome new Campsite Carers, distributing recycling bags across our campsites for a cleaner ethos to all! If you have the cleanest campsite and clear your rubbish up into the bags, you could bag yourself a FREE Jolly Green Sherpa to take your camping gear back to the car on Monday morning!
- Look out for our Graffiti team, providing Kendal Calling 2018 tags for your tents, so you can bring it back every year for a new one and get a reward from us.
Last year we sent a 274.78 tonnes (10.18kg per head) of waste to landfill, so please help us to be sustainable in the fields. Look after the Deer Park, take your tents home and stop the tent-graveyard!
See you in the (green) fields!
Andy, Ben and the KC Team x